Behind The Blog – Get To Know Me
The purpose of this post is to spice things up a bit. The blog is growing and I figured this will give people a chance to get to know me a little better. I though it might be a good change of pace. Lighten the tone and have a little fun.
My family (October 2015):
Game of 25 Questions – Get to Know Me
1. What is your middle name? Kathryn – This is where my family nickname of “Kat” came from growing up.
2. When is your birthday? December 25 – Before you comment, please read my post about it. 🙂
3. What is your zodiac sign? I am a pretty typical Capricorn. A practical, responsible, stubborn, unemotional control freak. They make it all sound like it’s a bad thing. I promise there are some good traits in there like dependability, patience, sense of humor…I thrive on sarcasm!
4. Do you have any pets? Yes, we have a dog (Zoey). We call her Zoey Bowie or Zo Bo for short.
5. Do you have any children? I have 3 children. Cameron (Forever 7 – He went to heaven Christmas 2015 – This is why the photo above is old), Melia (now 5), and Sienna (now 1).
6. Where are you from? Born and raised in the tiny map dot of Titusville, PA. We consider Las Vegas our second home. We lived there 12 years before moving to the Orlando area (where we live now). I’d go back in a heart beat. If they would just solve the water crisis I could convince my husband.
7. How tall are you? Last I checked, I was 5’8″. Finding jeans long enough is the worst!
8. What talents do you have? When I was a kid I honed the ability to cross my eyes and then (one eye at a time) uncross and recross them. I don’t recommend doing this too many times in a row. You will get a headache. Later in life I learned I can tie a cherry stem with just my tongue. I’m not sure these technically count as talents though?!
9. Are you psychic in any way? This stuff fascinates me. Not sure I can say I’m psychic. However, I have had 3 premonitions. Each one ended up being a major event in my life. Things I knew were going to happen years before they did. I just didn’t know exactly how or when at the time. The most recent one being the loss of my son, Cameron. In each instance, I thought I was crazy and didn’t trust it. Haven’t had any others…at least not yet.
10. Do you believe in ghosts? Yes I do. Again…this stuff fascinates me. I’ve had far too many strange things happen not to. Good conversation to have over drinks. 😉 See my post on communication I’ve had from Cameron since he died.
11. Favorite song/music? My range of music is pretty wide. I’ll listen to just about anything. However, I’m an 80’s girl at heart! My Pandora station of choice is 80’s. I’m also a fan of top 40 music. If I’m going to pop in a CD (yes I still listen to some CD’s – no I’m not old) it is typically Taylor Swift.
12. Favorite movie? Immediately 2 come to mind. Robinhood: Men in Tights. Fools Rush In. Both are filled with quotes that plague our every day life. These days I tend to go for more of a comedy or romantic comedy. Though I won’t rule out a thriller/suspense every once and a while.
13. Have you ever been to the hospital? This is a strange question as I’m pretty sure most people have at one time or another. I feel like I’ve had everything removed that you can have removed and still be walking around (3 babies, appendix, tonsils, gallbladder). My last experience tainted my track record. All I can say now is if you chop off a limb or are in need of an ER trip, count me out…you are on your own! I don’t take people to hospitals anymore.
14. Have you ever got in trouble with the law? Funny you should ask. There was this one time…at band camp. Ok it wasn’t technically band camp. It was high school, but it wasn’t me. I was considered as one of the prime suspects temporarily. That was fun. Otherwise, do a couple of speeding tickets count?
15. Have you ever met any celebrities? Hmmm…back in the day I did give Marc Anthony directions to the restroom once. Does that count? Also on a college recruiting trip, we did meet the guy that played guitar on a Rob Thomas tour. If memory serves his name was Frank. Pretty sure he had the hots for the girl traveling with me. We hung out with him at the bar that night. The next day he came and met us for lunch during a break in our interviews.
15. Favorite food? If given a choice, I will always choose Mexican food. Living in the Orlando area now, it’s tough finding good Mexican food.
16. Extrovert or Introvert? I hate these classifications. I guess technically you’d call me an introvert. I internalize everything. Think things through before speaking. Definitely not the center of attention type. Growing up I was typically classified as quiet. Don’t mistake this for being shy though. If someone engages me in conversation or takes the time to get to know me, they will find I’m not shy at all. Or quiet for that matter.
17. Biggest splurge buy? I would have to say annual Disney passes. This was a splurge I don’t regret one bit. Cameron and I had so many memories there. Before Melia was old enough, we would have 1-on-1 nights at Magic Kingdom all the time. Two years we splurged. I really miss having passes. Maybe one day we will splurge again.
18. Hobbies? DIY projects. Especially those around the house. One of my favorites is refinishing an old dresser to use as a buffet table in my dining room. I also refinished a dresser for Sienna’s room. I’ve got a long list of projects in mind. I’ve been working on painting drop cloth curtains for my living room. I’m hoping to build a farm table for the dining room. My list of ideas tends to be a mile long. I think it makes my husband nervous.
19. Why did you start blogging? When I was laid off at work before Sienna was born, we decided that I would take some time and stay home with the kids. This was a huge decision for us. I had always wanted to try my hand at writing so I started the blog. It gave me a sense of purpose. My ultimate goal is to build my own business around it.
20. What are some of your favorite blogs? Chrissy is hysterical at Licensed to Muse. I love the stories she tells. I’ve also had a couple of pieces published at Her View From Home. Leslie has built a group of 300+ writers that share amazing pieces around motherhood, parenting, kids, and relationships. I’m honored to be part of it.
If after reading these you are dying to know more, just sign up for my mailing list. My e-book will provide you with some laughs from some of my best parenting fail stories.