Invest in your family, it is the best thing you can do and it will always pay tenfold. This is advice I received as I left the corporate world and became a stay-at-home mom. While family time has always been a priority, it wasn’t until after my son died that I really understood the value.
Time is precious. It is a limited commodity and you only get so much. How do you want to spend your time? Who do you want to spend it with? That is exactly how and where you should invest or focus your efforts. What you put into it is what you will get out of it. I promise you will never feel your investment was a waste.
So how do I find time to put all of my focus on my family? Your biggest investment is in the small details. You can easily do this without taking time away from the things you have to do. Here are some easy things you can implement without much effort. These things will help you to invest in your family and improve your relationships. The memories created and time spent will add value to your life. It will increase your level of happiness. Don’t waste that time. You will never get those moments back.
7 Simple Ways to Invest in Your Family and Reap Big Rewards:
- Eat dinner together as a family. It seems small, but it adds value. Placing value on everyone gathering around the table and being in the same space even for a short period of time. The dinner table is the place conversation begins. The entire family will pause at the same time and get on the same page. Sharing information about your day. Actively showing interest.
- Tuck your kids into bed at night. This has never been my favorite part of the day. Bedtime routines drag on and cut into my time. However, it is in these quiet moments that you can connect with your child one-on-one. Read a book. Sing a song. Tell silly stories. Create your own thing. Just take 10 minutes and simply be in that moment.
- Create family traditions. These can be during holidays or certain days of the week. Traditions are something each person looks forward to. The activity builds a bond and creates memories.
- Plan something fun to do together. This can be big or small. There are simple ways you can build this into your normal routine. Take a picnic to the park. Have a special “girls night” or “mom and son” night out. Go see a movie, have lunch, or go to their favorite place. As a family you can go geocaching. These are all free or low cost. Value is in the time spent together.
- Create surprises. Everyone likes to feel special. To know those closest to you are thinking about you. What better way to show that love than to surprise them? Listen to them and keep a list of the things they like (foods, places, items). These things will provide insight into personalized surprises. Maybe you bring home a special treat from the store. Take them to their favorite place for dinner to congratulate them on a big day. Or just stop by and visit them while they are at work. Do something unexpected.
- Express your love and gratitude. This is often overlooked when life is busy. How often does your family get the best version of you? Leave a small hand written note or card to let them know you’re thinking of them on a big day. Put a note in their lunch box.
- Celebrate everything. Birthdays, holidays, and special events are scattered throughout the year. Focus on being aware of the things that are important to them and make note to acknowledge those things. Celebrate with them. Make their big things important to you.
Are there other things you do to invest in your family?
Thanks for the inspiration! I like to give my all to my family during these times, then I don’t feel as guilty when I ask for a little time to do something for myself.
That’s so true! You have to find ways that you can balance everything. Self care is so important.