18 Easy Questions To Start A Conversation & Get To Know Your Kids
The quickest way to strengthen your relationship with your kids is to start a conversation. Conversation creates connection. Demonstrates interest. Improves your ability to communicate.
By asking the right questions, you learn valuable information. Investing time strengthens your relationships. These conversations create positive interactions. The information gathered gives you personal information to relate back to and build experiences around. It really is a win-win.
So what are the right questions? You should be asking open ended questions. Without prompting to get certain answers. Engage with their responses to push them to explain why. Understand their way of thinking and how they see the world. Create a non-judgmental approach and the really tough questions you ask later will be easier to get a response on.
It sounds complex, but it is really very simple! Just take a question or two and add them into your day. Switch them up to keep things interesting. I like to use these at dinner time, in the car, at bedtime, or anytime that I’m in a 1-on-1 situation.
18 Easy Questions To Start A Conversation With Your Kids:
- What was your favorite thing about (fill in the blank)? Why?
- What was your least favorite thing about (fill in the blank)? Why?
- If you could have 3 wishes, what would you pick? Why?
- If you had a time machine, what would you use it for? Why?
- If you could plan the perfect day, what would you want to do?
- What is your favorite family tradition? Why?
- If we could go on vacation anywhere in the world, where would you want to go? What would you want to do?
- What is one thing you couldn’t possibly live without?
- Name one thing we could do to make the world a better place.
- Who is your best friend? What do you like most about them?
- What makes you a good friend?
- What is the best surprise you’ve ever received? Why?
- What do you think you are really good at doing? Show me.
- If you could have any job in the world, what would you pick? Why?
- What scares you the most? Why?
- What is your favorite memory of us? Why?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself? Why?
- Do you know how much I love you? How do you know?
What is your favorite question to ask?